Ewan McGregor Addresses Negative Feedback For Star Wars Prequels
As Obi-Wan Kenobi’s May 27 debut on Disney+ draws closer, actor Ewan McGregor took time during the press tour to defend the much-maligned Star Wars prequels written and directed by George Lucas. In remarks aggregated by We Got This Covered, McGregor discusses the long journey those films have taken to finally being at least a measure more appreciated.
“It’s taken us 15 years to hear that [people loved our prequel films],” said McGregor. “It’s really nice.
McGregor credits the shifting generations as a major part in changing attitudes–and the films also get the benefit of standing up alongside an ever-expanding franchise. Said McGregor, “What we didn’t hear at the time was people your age, your generation. Those people now really love our films.”
He also added that people who grew up with the original trilogy tended to take for granted how difficult those films were to make, and why Lucas so heavily relied on CG imagery. “There was so much green screen and blue screen because George was pushing into this new realm that he had designed, that he was responsible for. He wanted to max out that technology, but that meant for us that we were very much on blue screens and green screens, and it was hard work. To do that and be passionate about it and then for the films to be not very well received was really tough. So it’s really lovely to have that new relationship with them now.”
And if anyone has sharp, fresh insights into the prequels, it would be McGregor. Alongside Hayden Christensen, both actors watched through all nine main Star Wars movies to prepare, while Christensen went even further, following Anakin’s extended adventures in both Clone Wars and Rebels animated shows.
Obi-Wan Kenobi will debut on Disney+ with two episodes on May 27.
Earlier this week, Star Wars: Ahsoka began production. The franchise entry is anticipated to likely have its debut in late 2022 or 2023.